Friday, January 1, 2010

Remembering New Year's Day 1964


Happy New Year! Just got back from spending Christmas in Paris. It was magnifique! If you're interested, my photos and impressions are on my vacation blog, http://joyeuxnoelyall.blogspot.com/.

Now, I'd like to invite you to come along with me on another snowy trip, this one back in time, to the great snowfall of New Year's Eve 1963/New Year's Day 1964. This photo was taken on New Year's Day in my nona and grandpa's yard on Point Cadet.

Snowfall is extremely rare in these parts, occurring for the most part every decade or so, mostly in late winter/early spring. This was a very special New Year for all of us. It seemed like a huge snow storm to us, but as you can see, the snow wasn't very deep. That snowman included a lot of grass, leaves and dirt.

I dressed myself in keeping with the festive occasion. The black patent leather shoes were a controversial choice. My mom maintained these were not appropriate for playing in the snow, but my daddy reminded her I was about to grow out of those shoes anyway. And so it was. I have a history of choosing cute shoes over practicality.
My other overwhelming memory of the day is of drinking lots of hot chocolate. It probably wasn't nearly as good as what I've been drinking in Paris for the past few weeks.

Since it looks like we may have snow here in the 'burg (but probably not on the Coast) later in the week, here's a recipe for Parisian style chocolat chaud. Enjoy

Parisian Style Hot Chocolate
Whole milk
2 teaspoons of cocoa powder per serving
Sugar, 2 teaspoons per serving
Measure milk into a saucepan (use your favorite mug as your guide). Bring milk to a boil over medium heat. Do not let it scorch or boil over.
Into the mug, dissolve the cocoa powder and sugar in a little of the milk. Mix until it makes a smooth paste. Add the rest of the hot milk slowly, and stir away all the lumps.
You may substitute 1 oz. of baking chocolate, roughly chopped, for the cocoa powder. Melt the chocolate in the milk on the stove

2 comments:

  1. I can't wait to try this recipe this weekend! I think I'll use the baking chocolate, and maybe some freshly-grated nutmeg. Yum!

    ReplyDelete