Sunday, February 28, 2010

Down Around Biloxi ...

I recently discovered that one of my most attractive assets, at least according to my Recurring Gentleman Caller, is my hometown. It seems that every red-blooded Mississippi boy growing up during the 1960s and 70s fantasized about dating a Biloxi girl.

We are the official state goddesses.

I tried to get him to explain this to me. I mean just what did girls from our little peninsula have that girls from say Gulfport, Tupelo, Natchez or Laurel didn't? I got a lot of hand gesturing and muttering about exotic surnames ending in -ich and -eaux, plaid skirts, string bikinis, crosses on chains, tanned collarbones, Shrimp Queen pageants, feathered majorette headdresses and bouncing fringe and other random musings that made absolutely no sense.

I'd like to blame his obsession on Jimmy Buffett, but I think it pre-dates him.

And it's fairly universal across the state. My sister says that one of her friends in Jackson once summed up his attraction to a former flame with "Well, she was from Biloxi." As if that said it all. And it did.

Sure, these guys fantasized about Miss September, Cheryl Tiegs and all of Charlie's Angels. But what were the odds of meeting those ladies? However, it was not outside the realm of possibility that they might actually meet a girl from Biloxi.

When my RGC looks at me, he isn't just seeing a middle-aged woman whose string bikini days are long behind her.

And though he knows that I was never a majorette nor Shrimp (nor even Camellia) Queen and that my Catholic schooling ended in 5th grade, he can still picture me as a slender beauty with long feathered hair, a sparkly tiara and a short plaid skirt who, if he plays his cards right, will ride in his red convertible down Highway 90 for a romantic dinner at Taurus Steak House and dancing at the Fiesta.

After all these years, he's finally going out with a "hot Biloxi babe." And do you think I'm going to disabuse him of this fantasy?

Not bloody likely!

Anise Sticks

Mississippi boys may have associated Biloxi with the city's comely female residents, but when I think of my hometown, I remember the scent and flavor of anise. Point Cadet's ultimate anise cookie is hrstule, but it's a little trouble to make (and not my strong suit). A worthy, and easy, substitute is this anise flavored cookie. This was the first cookie I ever made, and, because they keep so well, my mother frequently sent me back to college after a weekend visit home with a tin of these (and clean line-dried laundry). These are delicious with hot tea.

2 cups all purpose flour

1 teaspoon baking powder

1/4 teaspoon salt

3/4 cup granulated sugar

1/4 cup shortening

2 eggs, well beaten

2 drops of anise oil or essence of anise (you may still be able to find this at an old-fashioned pharmacy or via e-mail from a shop specializing in Mediterranean food. I buy mine at the Mediterranean Bakery in Alexandria, Va.)

Pre-heat over to 375 degrees. Blend dry ingredients; cut in shortening until particles are the size of large peas. Stir in eggs and anise oil. Mix thoroughly with hands. Using half of the dough at a time, roll out 1/4 inch thick on a lightly floured board. Cut in 4x 1/2" sticks. Place on an ungreased cookie sheet about 1/2" apart. Brush with soft or melted butter or margarine. Bake 10-12 minutes. Make 3-4 dozen cookies.
Photo: Having a total 1980's moment (but then it was the 1980's so I guess that's OK).

1 comment:

  1. Your Brother-in-LawMarch 2, 2010 at 4:22 PM

    "....and other random musings that made absolutely no sense."

    Makes sense to me.

    ReplyDelete