Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Sniffles for the New Year

Happy New Year! I hope everyone's holidays were pleasant. I truly enjoyed mine, but, as usual, I was ready for them to be over when they ended.

I started 2011 off with a horrendous head cold which has now worked its way into my chest

My mama used to say, "Be careful of what you get into on New Year's Day because that's how you'll spend every day for the rest of the year."

I think she was right (and she just loved being right). This crud gives every indication of keeping me phlegm-ridden at least until spring. Lovely.

Fortunately, when my mother handed down aphorisms, she also handed down some recipes and remedies, at least one of which is helping with my current situation.

There weren't too many illnesses that Mama felt couldn't be helped (or warded off altogether) with a hot milk toddy -- a mixture of egg yolk, sugar, hot milk and a little vanilla (or whiskey for adults). It's like hot egg nog.

Even if you're not sick, it's a great way to cope with the chill of freezing January night like tonight.

And if I'm destined to drink one of these every night of 2011, well, I'm sure there are worse ways to while away an entire year!

Hot Milk Toddy

1 egg yolk
1 teaspoon sugar
Hot milk
1 tsp of whiskey or vanilla

In a coffee cup or mug, stir and egg yolk and sugar together until thick and lemon-colored. Slowly add the hot (but not scalding) milk whisking with the egg to prevent it from cooking on the spot. Add whiskey or vanilla. Add a sprinkling of nutmeg if desired (my touch).

No comments:

Post a Comment