Monday, April 27, 2009

Feeling Figgy

I just finished my spring planting, and this year I planted a fig tree. Right now it’s barely more than a twig. It will probably be several years before it reaches full growth .

Just about every yard on the Point had a fig tree – huge bushes just dripping with sweet succulent fruit in the summer. Nona and Grandpa’s tree behind the shed was the source of many, many jars of homemade fig preserves, which eventually would find their way into fig rolls (strudel) at Christmas and other special occasions like weddings and christenings.

I love fig roll, but it’s a little trouble. I don’t always want to wait to enjoy my figs. In the summer my favorite appetizer is:

Fig stuffed with goat cheese
  • Take some nice ripe figs, cut a deep X across the tops.
  • Stuff them with goat cheese.
  • Cut bacon into thin strips and fry until they are partially, but not fully cooked.
  • Wrap each one around a fig and skewer them in place with a fresh sprig of rosemary.
  • Broil a sheet of these until the bacon is fully cooked and the goat cheese is soft and runny.
The sweet flesh of the fig caramelizes and mixes with the tangy cheese and the smoky bacon. You will not believe how something this easy to fix could taste so good.

If you really have a sweet tooth, you may even want to drizzle some honey over them right after they come out of the broiler. I have a jar a lavender honey from Hvar I’ve been saving for just this purpose.

I can’t wait. Grow, tree, grow.

No comments:

Post a Comment