Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Milk and Eggs: Good For What Ails You

I'm feeling puny today. I woke up with one of my infamous migraines. One of the ones where I can hear the sound of a cat's whisker falling, a ray of sunlight is painful and my stomach feels like it's been on a roller-coaster ride without the rest of me. Going to work was out of the question.

Times like these I really miss my mama. She knew exactly what to do in situations like these. Like whip up a batch of milk and eggs. I think they call it Milijeko i jaje in Croatian. I know that jaje is egg so I'm close anyway.

It's the sort of thing you probably wouldn't eat if you weren't sick, but it's about the only thing you can stomach if you are under the weather. You can whip it up fairly quickly, too, so you don't need to be out of bed for very long which is a plus.

3 cups of milk
4 eggs well-beaten
1-2 Tablespoons plain flour (varies depending on how thick you want the mixture)
Salt and pepper to taste.

Add enough flour to the beaten eggs to thicken slightly. Add salt and pepper if you want it. Warm milk over low to medium heat until bubbly. Strain the egg mixture in slow stream into the hot milk. The mixture is thick so use a spoon to push it through the mesh if you have to. Cook for a few minutes over medium-low heat until done to your liking taking care not to scorch it.

That's it.

If your stomach can handle it, try this with "boat bread." That's a loaf of French bread cut in fourths, then each piece cut in half like for a po-boy sandwich. Butter the bread then grill it butter side down in a hot skillet. Use a press if you have it to get it nice and flat. The men used to make it on the boats but we had it for breakfast at home all the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment